Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Negative Charging

I'm going to put forth a new idea when it comes to "charge". I'm putting "Negative Charging" out there because of what I'm seeing when it comes to my same metal water battery ideas. Now to keep it scientific as possible I had to completely get rid of the chance of what I was see was a galvanic reaction. To do this I stop using any metal plates and used only Graphite and since Graphite is not a metal a galvanic reaction can't occur. Also I needed to use something better than water, water moves around and messes with the results, so I needed to get away from water. I replaced water with Glue, since glue dries and the water evaporates from it when its dried. So what I have is a solid state cell that has only graphite for both plates using glue as the medium.

Now for the Negative Charging part. To fully understand negative charging is very simple, think of charge as being a timeline. On this timeline you have 0 in the middle and to right of 0 you have the positive and to the left of 0 you have the negative. Negative charging is no more than "draining the charge". For example you have 50volts and you hook a load up to it you'll be draining the charge or "Negatively charging". Its like saying there is no such thing as subtracting, you're only adding a negative number.

As for the reason of "negative charging" is to explain what I was seeing with the cell described above. You see the cell doesn't produce much power, when first connected to the meter it would read around 20mV. As Many of you know or don't the Meter when connect to anything acts like a small load, to check this just hook a digital volt meter to a low micro farad capacitor and watch as the capacitor drains because it is connected to the meter. So from the 20mV reading of the cell it would slowly drain due to the meter being a load. As it drained it reached 0 volts and I thought that was it, but no it was not. This is where the negative charging comes in, You see the cell when given a load does not drain like a battery or capacitor would but instead it was CHARGING, negatively. So the cell doesn't drain but charges instead and that is why I need the term "negative charging" to describe what happen. The cell started off at 20mV and reached 0 but did not stop, it started climbing in the negative numbers as if it was being charged.

To keep things fair I've tested this with ceramic capacitor. The capacitor went from 100mV to 0 volts and never went to the negative numbers. The capacitor instead bounced around from 0 volts to 5mV. The bounce in voltage to 5mV I think was mostly due to the EMF in the room.


So the cells don't drain like a battery but instead they negatively charge when given a load. I do want to tell that Shorting out a cell and giving it a load is two different things, one would think a short is the ultimate load but a short is something very different when it comes to these cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment