Sunday, March 6, 2011

People still think that my same metal water will corrode like a normal dissimilar metal water battery

I don't understand why people insist to think that my same metal water batteries will corrode like a normal dissimilar metal water battery, they're not the same. I do believe that nothing will last forever and my first designs did corrode, but that was because I was using salt and tap water. I've further my designs to where they use distilled water and are sealed off from the environment and still produce power and the plates look like new even when shorted out for weeks. People think that I'm getting voltage from the oxidizing (rust) of the aluminum. What they don't get is that aluminum is already rusted when it touches the air, so the aluminum is already oxidized and the only way to get rid of the oxide layer is things like minerals such as salt water. Using distilled has no minerals so the breaking of the aluminum should be close to impossible. The best factor is that it doesn't have to be a metal placed in water, it can be carbon such as graphite. Graphite doesn't rust because its not a metal but it can oxide when exposed to very high temperatures. My graphite cells sit at room temperatures and don't rust because they're not metal, so the electricity is not coming from the oxidation of the metal and/or carbon.

Again I will state that I don't believe that something can last forever. From my research I've have found that any two same metals placed in water doesn't create a galvanic reaction and thus no electricity can be formed. I've have prove that to not be true with my same metal water batteries, and this is my greatest accomplishment. So even if my cells corroded away like any other dissimilar water battery, knowing that I could get power from same metals shows that not all the electricity from a galvanic cell is purely do to the galvanic action and that there is more going on then once thought.

I merely report what I'm seeing, and so far my latest design don't show corrosion. The especially don't show corrosion when I replace the aluminum with graphite. From my testing of my cells the only things that have destroyed them was as follows.

What destroys the cells:

-Tap/salt water : The minerals thats inside of the water would destroy the aluminum, but the graphite held up better to the tap water.

-Evaporating water : With no water you got no medium for the plates, so no electricity.

-Folded plates: Folded plates cause the water to rise due to the capillary effect, but would also trap air pockets that cause the corrosion of the plates.


How I solved these problems:

I now use distilled water instead of tap/salt water for it pureness. I now fill the cell full of water till it over flows and then place a cap on it to keep the water in and the air out, so now the water doesn't evaporate. As for the folded plates I use now flat not folded plates, and they hold up much better. I also use graphite pencil lead instead of the aluminum plates because graphite doesn't rust or easily dissolve in water. Any thing more pure than using graphite (carbon) would be either gold or platinum.

No comments:

Post a Comment